Sunday, June 25, 2006

Blessed and Highly Favored


Today the prodigal son made his long awaited return to church. It has been the first time that I have set foot in a church in over 6 months. 7 months to be exact. For no other reason then me not doing what I needed to make sure I was up on Sunday mornings.

Nonetheless, today all roads were leading to some religious edifice. The duality of the day can't help but be noticed. On my drive the weather was not good nor was it bad. On side of the sky offered a bright and clear display; the other half was dark and pregnant with heavy rain clouds. Almost if GOD Himself was welcoming me back home, but at the same time telling me that His House should be a first choice and not a last resort.

Do I think that this is my last resort? I seem to have a habit of letting the devil take so much out of my life, before I remember that GOD is consistently working on me. That all I have to do is call on him. I am like that guy with a new car. Yeah it looks all shiny and brand new, and even has a indicator that tells me when gas is getting low. Well I was treating GOD and my spirituality as that gas. I had filled up on church with the last great blessing in my life, and felt that I had enough to hold me over. Well, my gas light came on a few months ago. I ignored it and kept on driving, trying to get the most out of my buck. Well, even with a new car if you drive your car on fumes it can hurt the car and its engine. If you read about my nervous breakdown earlier then you realized my car almost seized and stopped completely. I realize I was spiritually empty. I needed a recharge. And the recharge I needed required me to attend church and pray just to pray, not only when I needed something. I kept ignoring GOD's warnings to come to him in prayer. I was too caught up in my own life.

The pastor today mentioned that if you are going to fall, don't fall for something so easy. At least put up a fight. He mentioned that your favor comes not in the form on money, but a blessing that is more abundant then any amount of money. Long story short, I go to a luncheon, that I am late for after church, and I am talking to one of my coworkers. Now this coworker was the first person in Greensboro to invite me to church with him. And we are talking about school, and my trials and tribulations. Well he then casually mentions that he made a pledge to his church to donate $250 dollars to help college students buy books. He offered to pay for my book for my summer course. Right there. Not one hour from when I left church. That's how fast GOD worked in my life. He didn't have a check waiting for me. HE sent me a message through an avid church-goer, a friend of mine, that all I had to do was come to HIM in prayer. And the pastor mentioned to know the difference between favor and something you forced to happen. Had it this offer come from anybody else I might have seen it as something I was willing to happen, but a man that knew my heart, and knew my faith, and listened to my story helped me help myself. So today is a great day.

So yes I am still driving that car. But this car is a different one. It's an electric. It requires me to come home and plug in to recharge. In other words I need to stay plugged into GOD and HIS word for HIM to work things out in my life. And that HE needs to be my first choice and not my last resort. Because not only am I blessed to have people in my life that are working on me as well, I am also highly favored.

1 comment:

  1. YES!!! I went to chuch this sundat as well, and I was going to post on it. Glad I did , I'll allow you to have this shine!

    D remember to Walk in the Light, It will guide your way!

    ReplyDelete