Wednesday, October 24, 2007

TV Schizophrenia


I have a DVR. It's the only way I can watch television nowadays. And after getting off late at night there is nothing on television to watch, so I just record shows aimlessly. Tuesday night I got off early (9pm) and happened to catch up on some of my favorite shows. Random as it may sound these are the thoughts that ensued:


Heroes (NBC) is one of the best written shows I have seen in a while. In case you didn't know I am a nerd. A functioning nerd but still a nerd. The intricate character plots and twists definitely keep you tuned in.


Lebron James is a funny dude. Not funny haha, but funny to laugh at. If you missed it I'm sure its on YouTube already, the King of Basketball allowed the group over at Saturday Night Live to do whatever they wanted to him. Which includes dressing him up as a Solid Gold Dancer with Jheri Curl and skin tight gold pants with matching top.


I hope my wife (if I ever get married) at 56 has a body like Jane Seymour on Dancing With the Stars(ABC). I mean GrandMami is fly. A little pale for my tastes but still fly. And she is flexible...which helps her on the show of course. I am still pulling for the Cheetah and the Spice Girl in the finals.


Ellen Degeneres and the dog issue has gone way to far. At first it was a little sad to hear. Then I remembered that I am not a pet person. And although I can be sympathetic, empathy escapes me. Although her cult fans need to be stopped. Stop sending death threats just because your favorite TV host is losing her mind during a taping.


And in case you have been sleeping underneath a rock. Ellen Degeneres is a lesbian. Not that that matters. I just kind of needed a segue into my next topic. Gay fictional characters. It was alluded to in the on-air friendship between two hobbits in Lord of the Rings. And ironically didn't include gay British actor Ian McKellan (Gandolf the Grey/White). But another in the Wizarding World was recently let out of his magical closet. Albus Dumbledore, the Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Wizarding, in the uber-popular Harry Potter series, is in fact gay. Gasp!!! Religious zealots are devastated that their children have been at the center of this plot by J.K. Rowling and they are currently in the process of trying to see how fast a 700-page book burns. Get a life. In a book that alludes to everything but sex, the last thing we need to be doing is re-reading the series to find clues to a ficitional characters sexuality. (Hell look at Bert and Ernie from Seasame Street...oops you did know...right) Although, it might be interesting to see if in the 6th Harry Potter movie installment the actor that plays the now vilified character has a little more limp in his wrist when flicking his wand. Stereotypical gumps.


Why is California always on fire? I mean always. Really? Can someone please explain it to me. And why is it always a special report on ABC about it?


VH-1 is officially the new BET. I remember once upon a time there were very few programs that catered towards Blacks on the network. In the last month VH-1 has seen the premiere's of Hip-Hop Honors, I Love New York 2, The Salt-N-Peppa Show, as well as their continuing specials dedicated to Iconic members of Rap and R&B music. BET aired the Hip-Hop Awards. Ummm...kind of dropping the ball aren't ya? Now, I'm not saying that VH-1 always put together quality shows, but in comparison to BET...well there isn't much to compare now is there.


And couldn't help but mention that certain people in Hip-Hop are too funny. In the immortal words of Dave Chappelle..."When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong". This weeks recipient of the award goes to Foxy Brown. In an attempt to prove that although she wasn't the first female MC to do hard time she is the baddest to do it. While serving a year in jail (Riker's Island), the BK rapper has recently gotten herself 2 months in the Hole. For you non-prison show watchers is solitary confinement for acting a damn fool. Need a say more?


No more TV for me tonight. This schizo thing might be a reoccurring thing. Or just might be completely random. Guess we will all find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment